elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House

3 posters

Go down

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Empty Hero Prop: Gingerbread House

Post  jenn.johnson Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Cottage_Thumbs

I started designing the cottage, yay! Smile

My plan is to work out more or less what it would look like if it weren't edible, and then "candyify" the result, which is why the thumbs look more cottage-y than candy-y.

I did have some other sketches, but this one jumped out at me as a favorite pretty fast so I worked it up and ignored the others. If you really hate it, I can drag the others out again.

I was also trying, as Terry said, to make each side distinct so the player can judge their position by which side of the house they can see.

Please give feedback. Thanks!

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Empty Re: Hero Prop: Gingerbread House

Post  rillani Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Looks good to me! Very Happy

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:21 am

looks fantastic! Very Happy

aoh

Back to top Go down

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Empty House Orthos WIP

Post  jenn.johnson Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 am

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Orthos_House_Feb12_WIP_1of2Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Orthos_House_Feb12_WIP_2of2
Status report on house orthographics: getting there, but not done yet. I estimated 2 weeks total for the house and gate ortho's. I think I'm still on schedule since the gates will take less time than the house.

Perfection game and other forms of feedback are fine and encouraged. Keep in mind that since I'm not done yet, some of your suggestions I might already have in mind, and some of them might be dead simple to add in since it isn't locked down.

I included some of my rough planning lines where I thought it might help you envision what else I'm planning to add. Please also speak up if there are parts you completely don't understand. I'll try to either add a detail drawing or some notes to the final to make it as clear as possible.

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 pm

That's look'n great! Design is appealing, unique characteristics, and as always, nice presentation.

At this time, the only thing I'm not so sure about is the roof. I'm not sure if it's the color pattern that's throwing me off or if it's simply just the solid colors of the walls contrasting with the busy roof that's off-putting... Maybe someone else can point something out about that.

I do have a couple of questions for clarification:
That long swirling candy on the balcony, what was it meant to be or represent? (Is it a plant sitting on the balcony? or...)

Also in the bottom right image with the windows, were you going for something like.. it extrudes outward and the side windows are angled? Kinda like this...
Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Michelle_basic_hendry_painting_chair_baywindow

aoh

Back to top Go down

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Empty Re: clarification questions

Post  jenn.johnson Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Yes! You are right on, even though I haven't finished those parts yet. Partial victory for me.

The swirly thing on the balcony will indeed be a potted plant - think topiary. Right now I'm thinking of a peanut butter cup with the peanut butter filling showing on top for the planter, but I'm on the look-out for a brighter (less brown) alternative.

Both the lowest window on the bottom right image and the mid-level window on the top-right image bump out like in the picture you provided.

As for the roof - yeah, its pretty jarring right now. I think, once I get the cinnamon gum textures on the red roofs and the gingerbread textures on the walls, it might sit a little better.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the feedback! Smile

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  rillani Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:13 am

Those are called bay windows (a search for that will yield a lot of results). I once had one installed when I lived in Davis, CA. Big ones sometimes need angular supports on the bottom, like this: http://www.newpro.com/fc_images/BayDouble455x490_1.jpg Having supports could add (yet more) interest to the architecture.

About the clashy roof.. I have to say, I liked the value scheme in your thumbnails better. The roof being darker than the house makes more sense to me. Also keep in mind that the player will be beneath the house most of the time. The roof does not need to be lavished with as much attention as other aspects of the house.

Here I did a quick thing to show what I'm thinking... The roof is now more dark and just different shades of highly-saturated red (less distracting). The chimney could pose a problem, but since it's outlined in white it should still be visible.

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Roof_r10

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Empty House Orthos

Post  jenn.johnson Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Orthos_House_Front_smallHero Prop: Gingerbread House Orthos_House_Back_small

Alright, well... I hit panic/just-ship-it mode. They're here, they're functional, and they are not all I dreamed they would be. But they're done!

After opening up the before-I-merged-the-roof-tiles file & discovering how impractical it would be to try to adjust on a color-by-color basis, and trying to do a replace by color, and various experiments with adjustment layers, I discovered that a single color roof was going to be the best option. After exploring a full range of hues, I begrudgingly admit that brown looked the best with what was already there. As Terry said, the player doesn't actually see a whole lot of the roof since he's looking up at the house, it looks nice against the sky blue, and it has the right value to make that work. Chocolate it is, then.

Since a lot of the details I didn't get to were explanatory diagrams and material/candy labels, I fully expect to answer a bunch of questions like "wait, so does this stick out from this surface?" "how far in does that go?" "What's under that corner of roof?" Fire away.

Thanks!

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 am

In the bottom left ortho, are the brown bricks (I think that's what they are) meant to look like it's unfinished? Also, I'm still not so sure about the roof.. @_@; but like others have been saying, how often are players going to see it anyway, so let's just move on. Very Happy I do wonder, why not just stick the red roof that's already on part of the house and just use that for all the roofs?

aoh

Back to top Go down

Hero Prop: Gingerbread House Empty Re: questions

Post  jenn.johnson Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Nope, the brown blocks you're looking at are the ends of the tootsie roll firewood pile.

As for why not the same cinnamon gum roof everywhere: visual interest & variety.

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down