elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needs More Fun

3 posters

Go down

Needs More Fun Empty Needs More Fun

Post  rillani Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 am

From playtesting, it looks like a simple maze does not make for a very fun game. The long-term goal of reaching the end is not enough. We need some kind of mini-challenge and reward in the short term to keep the player's interest. These should lure the player closer to the long-term goal, while also showing them that they're progressing.

There are a couple ways we could do this.

1. Collectible bits. This could be candy on the ground or lights the player turns on as they walk by. There could be a GUI element that tells the player how many have been collected and how many are left, giving the player an idea of their progress.

2. Player control. The player could have some way to affect the world. This can be as simple as dropping breadcrumbs or as complex as finding keys to open doors. I don't wanna go trickier than that.

Remember those giant bunny peeps that looked like guardians? Maybe they could be actual guardians that block the path. They'd only let you through if you bring them a candy carrot from the "veggie" garden (I envision the candy carrot as being a giant, floating, glowing candy carrot). They would effectively be a "door" with a "key," but they'd also further the moral of the story by forcing you to give a gift. We could have multiple guardians, each with a thematic gift. We can brainstorm some at tomorrow's meeting.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Needs More Fun Empty Re: Needs More Fun

Post  aoh Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:34 am

I've got some ideas in the works as well. I'll talk about them with you guys at our meeting tomorrow Smile

aoh

Back to top Go down

Needs More Fun Empty Re: Needs more Fun

Post  jenn.johnson Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Yes! I love it.

I like that the path and streetlights turn on as you walk past them. I also like the idea of having a HUD device which tell you how many you've turned on ex: (lights icon) 56/70. Should we have a different counter for each type of light? (One for lollypop path lights & one for gummy bear street lights?)

I also like the idea that you have to collect different candy gifts to give to different bunny gaurdians. We could color-coordinate the bunnies with the carrots and hide different colored carrots (floating, with particle effects) around the maze. Then you could have a HUD icon indicating which colors you currently have in your inventory. If Siggy has the right colored carrot and approaches the bunny, would we need a cinematic to explain what happens? Or could we tip off the player with a sound effect and the (simple) animation of the bunnies opening up the path?

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 am

These are really great ideas, and I think the guardian bunny idea is very effective (and also cute lol). I really do hope that implementing a UI won't be too difficult... We should write down all these ideas and maybe ask Chun or Matt which ideas they think are doable within the time frame we have. I hope that we can get the "fun elements" locked down soon to ensure that we'll have the time to successfully implement them.

Oh also, I threw the little demo thing I made into the drop box (in environments > sketches, I didn't quite know where else to put it lol) for those that didn't get to see it on Thursday or for anyone who wants to take a look at it again. Just to reiterate on what I was saying, I made this to show what I was talking about in a visual way. I think I made some people think that I was saying we should scrap everything and go a different route or something like that... These concepts can easily be implemented in what we already have, and with the addition of UI elements/collectibles, user-interactivity, etc., we can have a super fun game! Very Happy

aoh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum