elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Backstory

2 posters

Go down

Character Backstory Empty Character Backstory

Post  LadyTorix Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Okay, since we needed something to drop in the design document I typed up this little blurb:

“I get so tired of the chores EVERY day, I mean really how is a kid supposed to have any fun if they’re working all the time? Besides, my dumb little brother Jochim doesn’t have to do anything, so why should I? Milking the cows, feeding the horses—ugh! Like tomorrow, Mom says I’ve got to fetch water from the old well in the forest because dad is digging a new one and she doesn’t “want me to get in his way.” But I’m sure Jochim will be there watching dad dig anyway and he won’t get in trouble. Well you know what!?! I think I’ll just go get “lost” in the woods for a few hours, then nobody can tell me what to do!”

This is Siegmund. He’s just about to turn 12, in two weeks, three days and approximately seven and half hours—he’s hoping for a new little brother, he thinks his is defective. He lives with his family on the outskirts of the forest where his father works as a woodcutter. He has one little brother, Jochim, who’s four years old. He and his brother stay home with their mother every day while their father goes off to work. Every day they help their mother with housework and chores. But Siegy isn’t terribly happy about this, he feels that he works to hard while his brother does nothing but play and play and play….So one day Siegy decides he’s going to stay in the woods and play all day instead of helping his mother. Lured off the trail into the darkness of the woods he actually becomes lost in a world he never would have imagined.

Please, feel free to make corrections, toss up better name suggestions, etc, etc. I just wanted to make sure we had something to toss up there for this week.
LadyTorix
LadyTorix

Back to top Go down

Character Backstory Empty Names

Post  LadyTorix Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Siegmund and Jochim are German names I picked at random from this site: http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/german.

Ironically Jochim comes from the name of a saint. (Though his name isn't really important.)

Siegmund means "victory" or "protector".

Again, these are not set in stone so please grab a few you like and we'll take a vote or something Shocked
LadyTorix
LadyTorix

Back to top Go down

Character Backstory Empty Re: Names

Post  jenn.johnson Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Siegmund reminds me a bit of Freud.

I don't think they need to be German names, but I'm not opposed to it either. Your backstory sounds good, as long as I mentally translate it to 20th century instead of Hansel and Gretel era (Woodcutter is probably a profession in both, for example. Fetching water from the well? Uncommon but not impossible).

I think the reason I like a 20th century version is to 1. get away from the fat german kids imagery and 2. justify using more recent iconic candies (pez, fruit stripe gum, caramel sour apple suckers, etc.) It gives us a bit more room to play with the character design also.

So the kid is kind of a brat to begin with? Are we supposed to like him? Sounds like a sulky spoiled pre-teen. Does he redeem himself by conquering the maze?
Maybe he does collect things as he goes, but he has to *gasp!* give all the candy away at the end in exchange for the key? Just a thought.

I remember we all wanted to have a cute character. Maybe he's become such a brat because he used to get away with things because he was so cute. Now he's not the cutest anymore (little brother), and he's upset at being asked to take on more responsibility. He could be the ridiculously cute but spoiled rotten type.

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Character Backstory Empty Re: Character Backstory

Post  LadyTorix Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 am

I like your suggestions, I say we talk more as a group tomorrow @_@ Snow definitely messed up our plans this week.
LadyTorix
LadyTorix

Back to top Go down

Character Backstory Empty Okay I redid it...thoughts?

Post  LadyTorix Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 am

Siegmund

Nickname: Siggy

Birthday: August 7th, 2000 4:36 P.M.

Sign: Leo/Dragon

Rising Sign: Sagittarius/Monkey

Favorite Color: Fire Engine Red

Dislikes: The word, “no,” his little brother, being embarrassed.

Traits
• Arrogant
• Manipulative
• Self Confident
• Charismatic
• Sloppy (work is for other people!)
• Charming
• Outgoing

Physical Appearance: Ridiculously cute.

Siggy is a twelve year old boy who has always had everything handed to him on a platter. In everyone else’s eyes he’s an innocent little angel but in reality Siggy knows exactly how to use his ridiculous cuteness to manipulate everyone into giving him anything he wants. He was the center of his parents’ world until…
His little brother was born. Of course, cuteness being hereditary, Siggy’s little brother is just as cute as he is, if not more. Now Siggy is left to play second fiddle to a little brat that can’t even walk yet and he doesn’t like it one bit.
One day, Siggy’s mother asked him to go borrow a cup of sugar from the neighbor who lived down the road. Siggy took a short cut through the forest but soon became distracted by a trail of sugar coated gumdrops leading deeper into the forest. He continued to follow the trail chowing down on all the candy he could fit into his mouth. He never noticing he was being lead into the entrance of a strange labyrinth.

Some of this information was simply for my own benefit, I'll only be putting the paragraph onto the website unless it's deemed necessary information.
LadyTorix
LadyTorix

Back to top Go down

Character Backstory Empty Re: Character Backstory

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down