elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking Turns with the Unity scene

4 posters

Go down

Taking Turns with the Unity scene Empty Taking Turns with the Unity scene

Post  rillani Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm

In the future, I would like us to take turns placing art assets in the Unity file (good idea, Aenok). We will take turns so that we don't end up with six incompatible versions of the game.

Here's one way it could work:

Each of us gets one week to play with the file (possibly more if we have time). Practice placing your own items and others', have fun arranging things, swapping textures, and making prefabs. When the week is over, we'll test the file to make sure it works, then hand it off to the next person. Then they'll get a week to add more assets, and they'll have to ask before changing what has been done previously. Potentially, each person could have their own sandbox area which no one else is allowed to touch.

For this to work, the maze's path structure will have to be set in stone. Otherwise, we'll constantly be moving already placed assets to accommodate changes in the paths. So this week, I'll get the maze to a more fun state and call it good. According to playtesters, it's already fun, so I will just fix the boring backtracking parts.

In the upcoming weeks, while you guys are having fun with assets, I will work on the camera, collectibles, and UI scripts in a separate file. Later, I'll import the scripts to a copy of the scene and catch the inevitable bugs.

Think this is a good idea? If so, at the meeting this week, we can decide who goes next (they will get the scene during week 7). We can draw straws to keep it fair, but if anyone wants to go later, that'll be fine too.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Taking Turns with the Unity scene Empty Re: taking turns putting stuff in Unity

Post  jenn.johnson Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:04 am

Since this is the first time I've heard the idea, where did it come from? Is it because putting stuff in engine is too large a task for just Terry, or because other people want a turn at playing with the asset arrangements?

I'm not terribly eager to get in there and noodle until we have more things to noodle with. Especially if other people are excited to get in the engine & play, I'd rather take a later turn to fine-tune the look rather than block in item locations. I believe this is "set dresser" in job-title terms.

If its because Terry is bogged down, by all means, share the tasks as equitably as possible.

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Taking Turns with the Unity scene Empty Re: Taking Turns with the Unity scene

Post  rillani Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 am

I'm not too terribly bogged down. I would like people (in particular Brandon and Aenok, who expressed interest) to be able to work within Unity on the game. Also it would allow me some time to try doing scripts.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:52 pm

I have an interest in set dressing too, so that's why I was talking to Terry about this. Smile

Also, since putting stuff in Unity being too much work for one person is not much of an issue here, I think it'd be alright if people who don't care to do it didn't have to, and those who are interested can have that opportunity.

aoh

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyTorix Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:37 pm

I really don't care to play in Unity. I'd much rather playtest the game and look for bugs.
LadyTorix
LadyTorix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum