elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces

2 posters

Go down

Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Empty Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces

Post  jenn.johnson Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Candyland_EnvThumbs_Fences
Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Candyland_EnvThumbs_LightsThumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Candyland_EnvThumbs_TreesThumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Candyland_EnvThumbs_Garden

Here are some of the quick ideas I came up with for items in the candy maze. Please tell me what you think and I'd love to see any thumbnails or sketches you're working on too! Smile

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Empty Re: Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces

Post  rillani Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Great work! It all looks exactly in keeping with the theme, which is awesome. We're aiming for an established trope, and you're definitely hitting it. If you want to try, there may be more room for innovation--the candy vegetable garden is a wonderful step in that direction.

One thing to consider is building a systematic correlation between candy materials and real world materials. What I mean by that is, a candy material will represent one real world material and only that real world material. Candy canes and peppermints may represent iron and steel and only appear in places where iron or steel would be appropriate. I can see you're doing that with the pretzels--they appear to represent wood. If you establish the system now, that will give our environment artists a solid, logical base to work from later.

On to Specifics:

Love the bunnies. If I were playing, I'd expect them to do something. I think we can do that without animating them; they could make a sound or move the candy canes to block the player (without moving at all themselves).

The cotton candy tree looks the most tree-like to me, the ice cream cones less so. I think it's that the cotton candy one has its widest part at the top, like a broad leaf tree. The waffle cone could read as an evergreen, if given a more tree-like silhouette.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Empty Re: Terry's Input

Post  jenn.johnson Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Smile

I am hesitant to adopt a consistent relationship between real life materials and candy materials. It seems more limiting than stimulating. For one thing, the real world isn't really made of all that many materials if you're grouping them as broadly as "wood" "iron" "stone", and I wouldn't want to have to decide down to more detail just to translate to candy. There's a disproportionate number of candy options per real life materials.

Also, certain candies tend to take on multiple roles in a gingerbread construction. For instance, say we build a marshmallow snow man. Then marshmallow == snow, and I wouldn't be able to use marshmallow again for the base of a streetlamp.

I agree about "animating" the bunnies. Maybe the bunny guards are the gate that opens at end game to let you back out of the maze!

Yeah, the ice cream tree was a stretch. I might, as you said, keep the pointed cone and make give it a more "tree-like" silhouette by stacking more cones on top.

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces Empty Re: Thumbnails for Candy Maze Pieces

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down