elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WIP Candy Models

3 posters

Go down

WIP Candy Models Empty WIP Candy Models

Post  aoh Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am

I thought I would show what I'm working on too. I've still got a bit more tweaks to do, but I'd really appreciate it if I can get some feedback before I go any further. Any crits, suggestions, complaints, or whatever else would be really appreciated. ^^

WIP Candy Models Candyc10
So I'm not quite sure how to make a translucent "jelly-like" shader, so if someone can help me with that.. :S Also threw in a pink marshmallow for fun Smile

WIP Candy Models Cotton14
Cotton candy in 3 different flavors! Very Happy

Also, I have no idea why when hosting the images, they all come out blurry..

aoh

Back to top Go down

WIP Candy Models Empty Re: WIP Candy Models

Post  rillani Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:52 am

Hooray! They're looking good so far.

I don't think you need to model indentations for the eyes. That can be handled with a bump or normal map and will save us some polygons. The lamp will be used a lot so it needs to be efficient in terms of polycount.

Don't worry about how to get the shader to work in maya. We'll have to use Unity's shaders in the end anyway. I am trying them out and I think transparent/parallax specular will do the trick. I'll show you guys how it looks on tuesday.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 am

Okay, will do.

I probably shoulda also mentioned the specs..

The candycane with bear is 442 polys, so i will try and reduce that as much as I can.. For textures, the bear is a separate object and utilizes a 256x256 texture sheet, and the candycane is 256x512.

For the cotton candy, it's 190 polys with a 256x256 texture map. I'll try and optimize the poly count on the cotton candy as well.

aoh

Back to top Go down

Post  rillani Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:19 am

The candycane and marshmallow look fine as far as I can tell. I don't think they need to be cut down any more. Just make sure the bear isn't atrociously complex.

It's good that you put the bear on its own texture sheet. That will let us use it as a separate object. Is the marshmallow on its own sheet? That would be good too.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

WIP Candy Models Empty Re: candy models

Post  jenn.johnson Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Perfection game: 6/10.
Cute! Nice low poly solutions.

To get a 10 from me:
- add more color & texture variation in the cotton candy. The machine that makes those swirls it around the stick. It would be nice to get some of that swirl in the texture, and some of the fibers/grain of the whipped candy.
- marshmallow should be toasted, like in the concept art. Imagine you were roasting them on a stick over a campfire & the bottom and one side became more toasted than the others. The top would be fairly white & soft, and the bottom part golden & crispy. The drizzle thing makes them looking like they've been frosted.
- the sticks of the cotton candy should be twisted with white and a color. Right now the coloration makes me think of ice cream cones rather than the twisted paper stick that cotton candy comes on.

Also, I can't tell from this picture, but have these been updated to the proportions on the orthographic? I think maybe they have, but I'm not sure out of context.

Love the 3 different flavors of cotton candy!

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  rillani Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:55 am

Aenok, please check the scale of your models. They're just a teensy bit too big. (that little square is the entire map)

WIP Candy Models Cotton10

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 am

WOW Shocked lol how did that happen.. I'll check it out, though before I exported, I did pull out a measuring tape and measure the height... Just curious, but are there any particular settings I need to watch out for when exporting through Max?

aoh

Back to top Go down

Post  rillani Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:08 am

I'm not sure if exporting does anything to the scale. It could be the units that max is set to while you're modeling. Unity uses meters. If you were modeling in centimeters, that would make the models a hundred times bigger when imported. But since you did measure, I'm not sure what's up. We can ask Chun.

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aoh Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 am

Hmm i'm not sure what's goin' on, or if I'm just missing something... :[

WIP Candy Models Measur13

aoh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content