elfglider
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models

3 posters

Go down

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Empty Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models

Post  brandon.orden Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:59 am

Hey gang,

I've managed to get a first pass for the hedge model and end cap. To start, here's a screen shot of both of the models with texture:

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Hedge-10

And here's a shot of an assembled row of hedges with end caps:

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Hedge-12

And the texture, 512x512:

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Asset_11

I'm aware there's some hotspots in the texture I wasn't able to clean out right away. I kind of want to see how it looks in game first before I really start nit-picking at hotspots that give away the tiling. Also, since we're likely going to be throwing objects around the hedges, it will help break up the tiling from being noticed right away.

There's also a bit of a shading issue that occurs at the seam when I'm viewing it in Maya, it happens when the camera is at an oblique angle to the hedges. Here's what I mean:

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Hedge-10

It can be fixed if I weld the edges of the hedges..hah, say that 5 times fast. Anyways, it can be fixed if I weld the edges of each unit together and average the normals, but for now I'll deliver just the individual unit.

I'll throw an .fbx of one hedge unit, as well as the cap and their texture on the dropbox.
Oh! I also made a few brushes while I was texturing this that you guys are free to try if it helps.
Unfortunately I forgot them at school. I'll try to remember to throw those on the dropbox when I get the chance.

brandon.orden

Back to top Go down

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Empty Re: hedges

Post  jenn.johnson Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Nice first iteration.

If we can afford it, I'd like to round out the cap pieces with more polygons.

Also, I'd like to see more strategic color variation on the green foliage. I'll talk to you about it after class today, but what I'm talking about is purposefully introducing darker greens toward the bottom & toward plane changes. For the end cap, the greens on top side of the "balls" are painted lighter & brighter than the undersides, which are darker than the vertical sides. Lighting will help, but painting makes it pop even more. (This is a habit I got into when I was a set painter).

Nice leaves. I'm excited to see it in engine (or at least up close in Maya).

jenn.johnson

Back to top Go down

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Empty Re: Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models

Post  rillani Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:09 am

Here's the hedges in Unity. They're working great! I've already made some prefabs of several hedge units in a straight line, which makes placing a long line of hedges very easy.

The fact that they are hexagonal may be a good thing. They happen to line up perfectly with the 30 and 150 degree angles in the maze.

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Hedges11

rillani
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models Empty Re: Hedge and Hedge End Cap Models

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down